Contrary to popular belief, direct mail marketing is anything but extinct in this day and age. As a matter of fact, a large number of organizations invest a sum of $46 billion dollars or more on direct mail marketing each year. Although there’s a vast amount of benefits that many organizations have managed to avail from direct mail marketing, it’s still not a strategy that is devised to suit every company or business – especially if the company owner is not aware of how they can use direct mail marketing to their own advantage.
Thus, considering the pros and cons of direct mail marketing before adding it to your strategy is not just an intelligent thing to do, it can also help you understand whether your business can truly benefit from it or not.
The Advantages of Direct Mail Marketing
- Cater to a large audience at once: One of the many reasons behind the popularity and efficacy of direct mail marketing is the fact that the company is able to cater to a large amount of people at one time. This means that they can reach out to that many people at one time, which of course, helps their business grow significantly. The best part is that the task of sending out direct mails can even be entrusted to a local mailman.
- Ease of scaling it as per your needs: Many businesses might be under the impression that by opting for a direct mailing marketing strategy, their reach will be restricted to either a large audience or a small audience. However, the main benefit of direct mail marketing is that you’re in charge of scaling the audience – regardless of how big or small that is. This also gives businesses the perfect opportunity to reward long-term customers with loyalty gifts if they want to.
- Ability to get an instant response: Often times, when companies decide to send out direct mails, they also hand out a response form along with it. This grants the company the ability to get an immediate response from their customers – which helps them understand whether the customers were appreciative of their efforts or not.
The Disadvantages of Direct Mail Marketing
- It can get costly: Companies that opt for direct mail marketing must understand that this can be rather costly – especially if they’re catering to a large audience. The cost of the person who will be personally delivering to each house also comes into consideration. Thus, small businesses don’t normally opt for this, or if they do, they cater to small audiences.
- Perceived to be intrusive by many: A large amount of people actually do not appreciate a mailman showing up randomly at their doorstep – also depending on what the item is that they’re delivering. If what you’re sending out is absolutely useless to the customer, they won’t appreciate the effort. Thus, it’s crucial for the company to spend a good amount of thought to their direct mailing plan.